Mardi Himal Trek is a short trek of 5 days which is inside the Annapurna Sanctuary area. It is a less famous trekking route than long treks like Annapurna Circuit Trek, Annapurna Base Camp trek, and However, Mardi Himal trail is worth trekking.
It is one of the most exciting and adventurous trekking routes of Nepal. The trek is undoubtedly an unseen gem that not many tourists know about. Situated near the Mount Machhapuchhre, Mardi Himal is one of the lesser-known mountains. However, the trail to this trek is quite extraordinary to walk with stunning views along the way. Mardi Himal trail goes through a splendid rhododendron forest with small curving paths. Finally, you climb out of the woods to see the fantastic landscape with views of Mardi Himal, Annapurna South, and Machhapuchhre.
Like most of the Annapurna treks, the Mardi Himal Trek begins and ends in Pokhara. The tourist hub is also a perfect place to rest after the arduous treks. This trek route is a part of the Annapurna Conservation Area. The trekking takes us from the 800-meter elevation of Pokhara to the 4500-meter height of the Mardi Himal Base Camp.
What are the Mardi Himal trek Highlights?
- The highest point of the Mardi Himal Trek is Mardi Himal Base Camp which is at the height of 4500 meters.
- You will experience the Astonishing views of the mountains covered with snow like Annapurna, Machhapuchre, and Mardi Himal.
- You can hike through the small villages, green forest, fast-flowing rivers.
- On the way, you can see wide species of animals and birds. You can also get a chance to interact with the domestic yaks.
- Mardi Himal Base Camp, Forest Base Camp.
- Less crowded than other treks in Nepal.
- You can have experience of Diverse cultures, traditions, and lifestyles of different communities of people.
- Rich in Biodiversity, flora, and fauna.
- This trek is feasible for both individuals and trekkers in the group.
A glimpse of Mardi Himal Trek in a Short Video
What is the best season for Mardi Himal Trek?
As other high altitude trekking routes, the best season for Mardi Himal Trekking is Spring season (March, April, and May). However, trekking is preferred in the month of September to November too.
April and May are considered the peak hiking season in Nepal. During this time of the year, trekking routes often get very busy. On the monsoon season(May-September), the trekking trails get muddy and slippery, which makes it dangerous. During the cold season (December-February), there are very few trekkers as it gets freezing, and the local villagers also move to lower altitudes during the offseason. If you are planning your trek offseason, consulting a travel agency in Pokhara is recommended as they can manage all the food and accommodations for you.
Outline of the Mardi Himal Itinerary
- Day 1: Drive to Phedi from Pokhara and Trek to Pothana ( 1,990m) 5 Hrs
- Day 2: Trek to Low Camp ( 2,950 m) 5 Hrs
- Day 3: Trek to High Camp (3,550 m) 5~6 Hrs
- Day 4: Explore Mardi Himal Base Camp (4,500 m) 5~6 Hrs And return to Low Camp
- Day 5: Trek to Lumre and Drive to Pokhara 5 Hrs walk + 2 Hrs drive
Do you need permits for Mardi Himal Trekking?
As any other treks inside the Annapurna Conservation, you will need a TIMS card and ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Permit), which you can receive at Tourism Information Center in Pokhara. The required documents to get the Permits and TIMS card are
- Four photos
Note: If you are planning your trek with a Travel Agency in Pokhara, they will manage the permits for you.
What is the Mardi Himal trek’s difficulty?
The Mardi Himal Trekking is a moderate level trek in terms of difficulty. People of any age can complete this trek provided they physically fit for long road walks and can adapt to a cold environment. However, there is always a risk of Altitude Sickness. So traveling in a group is always recommended, so you can get quick help if you are in some sort of trouble.
Food and Accommodation During the Mardi Himal Trek
During the trek, you can rely on traditional Nepali food or other typical types of international food(Tibetian, Italian, Indian, Continental, and so on). The Nepali food menu consists of Dal, Bhat, tarkari, noodles, momo, etc. The prices of the food will increase with an increase in altitude.
The accommodation services will be simple, and most of the guesthouses on the route will have facilities of WIFI, hot water shower, electricity. It will be cheaper than other trekking routes. However, the cost can increase slightly as you move to higher altitudes.
What are the recommended Things to carry on Mardi Himal Trek?
- Smartphone: Smartphones can be really handy for navigation using navigation apps, or you can also carry a trekking map.
- Sleeping Bag: You should carry a small sleeping bag for you as the temperature at higher altitudes will be very cold.
- Hiking shoes, socks, towel and stick
- Warm and Light Jackets, yoga pants
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm, and lotion, Cap, tissues, Sanitizer, and so on.
What about your Health and Safety during the Mardi Himal Trek?
Everyone is concerned about their health and safety measures while hiking on high altitudes. All of our guides are professional and experienced. They can handle any kind of bad situation effectively and efficiently.
We will be equipped with the required medical kits and aids. If your health condition is serious, we will take you to the near hospital. We also have access to the rescue helicopters if things go wrong.
Mardi Himal Trek from Kathmandu
The Mardi Himal Trek starts from Pokhara. If you want to start the trek from Kathmandu, you will have to buy a flight or tourist bus ticket to Pokhara. If you are planning the Mardi Himal Trekking directly from Kathmandu, we [North Nepal Travel and Treks] can manage your flight booking or any other means of transport. Simply contact us and send us your location details, and we will reach you as soon as possible.
Contact Details: (+977) 61-464885, 9846816904
Are you ready for the Mardi Himal trekking with us?
If you want to fulfill your adventure and trekking needs, we are always available to provide you the best in quality travel packages and services at an affordable price. We are a leading travel and trekking agency in Pokhara. We are equipped with professional travel guides, tools, and best services.
The package mentioned above can be customized as per your need and availability of time. We will also help you get physically and mentally prepared for the trek. So are you ready to create an unforgettable travel memory with North Nepal travel and Treks?
More about the Mardi Himal Trek
Recently Opened Trekking Route
For a long time, this trek was done by only a few trekking groups who used to their tents and food themselves. However, the trekking route officially opened in 2012. Since then, it has witnessed new-found popularity. As it can be completed within a week, trekkers who have a shortage of time, are preferring this trek. Moreover, the view we see as we walk along the ridges of the hills is quite extraordinary.
Mardi Himal Trek has everything. We travel through stone-made stairs, traverse through dense forest, hike through rocky pathways and even walk on snowy slopes. So, it is an all-round trekking experience. Additionally, you can incorporate this trek with several other treks like Annapurna Base Camp Trek, Poonhill Trek, Khopra Trek.
From the valley to the Mountains in a short time
Mardi Himal Trek is also a highly sought-out trek because it involves going from the valley of Pokhara in merely two days. So, within a short time, you will be changing altitude from 800 meters to over 4000 meters. However, that does not mean that altitude sickness will strike you down. It is not that harsh for your body, and you’ll also save time.
Mesmerizing view from the top
On the first two days, you traverse through dense forest with an uphill climb. You only get some obstructed views of the mountains once in a while. However, upon reaching the ridge above Mid-camp, the scenario changes drastically. All of a sudden you’re surrounded by mountains and walking above the clouds. You’ll feel as if you’re inside a painting as you witness some picturesque views of the Annapurna range and Machhapuchhre.
You decide what is best & we’ll take care of the rest
- The itinerary mentioned is a standard guideline. We can readily modify it according to your needs and requirements.
- The cost of the trek can also be changed according to your group size, needs, and time boundary.
- You can easily add additional activities to the Itinerary. You just have to let us know before confirming the trip.
- This trip can also start in the capital city of Kathmandu. You have to let us know if you want to begin there. In that case, the Itinerary will extend by a few days. Consequently, the cost will also increase.
- The addition or removal of activities will increase or decrease the cost of the trip respectively. This will be done through mutual understanding between the agency and the client(s).
Related High altitude treks